• Windows 8
Store upgrade - "Something happened and the Windows 8.1 couldn't be installed. Please try again. E
  • I have deleted the cache, and re downloaded the files multiple times.  I have been experiencing issues since 8.1 was released; however, I have been through an easy update process; whereas, my Acer Laptop updated without issue.  My desktop is currently
    running Windows 8 x64, PRO with media center.  I have been unable to locate anything regarding this error code, aside from a few foreign posts.  

Any support or technical advice would be welcome and encouraged.  I have tried disabling all security software, firewalls, and started any services that I could anticipate could be relied upon.  I have a significant amount installed programs from giveaway
    of the day and need ot avoid a refresh if possible.  Despite the number of installed programs, the machine is optimized and very fast and very clean.  ESET is disabled, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware are the main running security apps, (just for reference).
     Again, I do appreciate any insight one may offer, thanks for your consideration...

Highest regards~

System:

Version: 6.2.9200 Build 9200

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Motherboard: GA-970A-UD3

System type: x64-based PC

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor, 3116 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Total Physical Memory: 16.0 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon Sapphire 6800HD Series

• Hi Ivan,

This can happen if you have a Windows Anytime Upgrade to a higher SKU right before upgrading to Windows 8.1.

This issue usually gets fixed when you reset the Windows Store cache or you need to wait 24 hours for the cache to expire before you start the upgrade.

Since you have already reset the Windows Store cache and issue persists, you may try the following steps and check.

Method 1:

You may try running the Windows Updates and install all the available updates including the optional driver and firmware updates.

Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions 

You may also refer to the computer manufacturer website to install the latest version of drivers for chipset, graphic card and other devices and check.

Method 2:

Step 1:

Unplug all the external devices connected to your system (except the Keyboard and mouse) and check if it helps.

Step 2:

You may perform a clean boot and check if it helps.

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Note: After you have finished the troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to boot the system in normal start
    up.

Method 3:

If the issue persist, perform SFC Scan and check.
    Please follow the steps to perform SFC Scan:
    a. Press “Windows Key + Q”
    to open Charms Bar.

b. Type “
    cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select
    “Run as Administrator
    ”.

d. Type
    ‘sfc /scannow’
    without quotes and hit Enter.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.