• Windows 8
Unable to Install Windows Update Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Code 9C48

• Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Installation date: ?11/?25/?2013 10:03 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 9C48

===========================

When I try to launch IE, I only get a flash of a screen and it won't load.  

I get a message that says "Setup cannot continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer"

When I look at my Installed Updates and search for Internet Explorer, I only get Windows Internet Explorer 9

What can I do to resolve this issue and get a working version of IE on my computer?

Edit:  I have McAfee Security Center as my AVS

•  Hello Michael,

I have understood that you are unable to install Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems update and getting an error code 9C48.

In order to fix the issue, I would like to know:

Are you able to successfully install other updates?

I would suggest you to perform the following methods for fixing the issue:

Method 1: Run Windows update troubleshooter

Here is the link for running a Windows Update Troubleshooter:

Method 2: Reset Windows Update Components

Here is a link for resetting Windows update components:

Method 3: Run System Update Readiness Tool

Here is the link for downloading System Update Readiness Tool:

Note: Check whether your system is 32 bit or 64 bit and download accordingly.

For knowing it, Right click on Computer and Click on
    Properties.

System Properties page will show you the system configuration.

If this does not work, follow the next method.

Method 4: Run System File Checker tool

Here is the link for running it:

If the above given steps also did not help then try to
    disable the antivirus (Mcaffee) and try installing Internet Explorer 11 manually.

Here is the link for downloading Internet Explorer 11.

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Still if you face any issue, try to uninstall all the updates of Internet Explorer 9 from Windows Update.

This link will show you how to uninstall an update:

Still if the issue persist, follow the steps given below:

In order to Uninstall Internet Explorer 11 follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open command prompt as administrator.

2. Copy and paste below command and press enter.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Now try to manually install IE11:

Also refer to the given link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2872074/en-us

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable
    it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Try to follow the steps mentioned above and let us know the results.

We will be happy to help you.

Thank You

• "Are you able to successfully install other updates?"

Yes....I have installed all of the other Important updates.

I will step through the rest of your response and let you know if I was successful.

Thanks for your help.

• I'm having the same problem with the installation of the two updates.  All other updates install no problem.

• OK....I went through the first 3 methods with no luck.  I had my AVS uninstalled the entire time.  Finally, in Method 4:

Method 4: Run System File Checker tool

This method found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

Then, I tried to run the IE 11 update and it failed, but gave me a different error code.  I believe it was 9C47.

I restarted my computer and then manually downloaded IE 11, using the link provided.

Here's the weird thing....it went through the install process and installed
    IE 9

And, I ran the Check For Windows Updates and it is no longer suggesting the IE 11 update.

I'm reluctant to do anything else at this point and since I don't really use IE, I'm not going to bother trying to manually download/upgrade to IE 11.

Thanks - Mike

• 1. How long has McAfee Security Center been installed?

2. When does your current McAfee subscription expire?

3. Did a McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?

4. What Update Version is displayed in the second line of text in IE's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab (e.g.,
    Update Version: 10.0.4; Update Version: RTM;
    Update Version: 9.0.14
    )?

• 1. How long has McAfee Security Center been installed?  3 years (since 1/12/11)

2. When does your current McAfee subscription expire?  January 2014

3. Did a McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?  EDIT:  No.  I purchased the full version with my laptop, but it came pre-installed.

4. What Update Version is displayed in the second line of text in IE's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab (e.g.,
    Update Version: 10.0.4; Update Version: RTM;
    Update Version: 9.0.14
    )?  9.0.21

I should also note that last week I was asked to install or update some Adobe product (can't remember what it was)....and it contained a check box to also include a McAfee product (can't remember what it was)......I unchecked it.  I subsequently uninstalled
    all my Adobe products because I thought it might be causing the issue.

Thanks - Mike

• When I try to launch IE, I only get a flash of a screen and it won't load.

1. Are you still seeing that behavior when you try to open IE9?

2a. When (exact date, if possible) did you purchase the computer?

2b. Has your McAfee subscription ever expired, if only for a day or so?

3. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.9.900.152 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER
    ONLY! =>
    http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

4. Is KB2888505 listed as a(nother) failed update in Update History?

5. Is KB2876331, KB2900986, KB2868626 and/or KB2875783 listed in Installed Updates (not
    Update History
    )?

• When I try to launch IE, I only get a flash of a screen and it won't load.

1. Are you still seeing that behavior when you try to open IE9?  Nope.  IE 9 opens fine now.

2a. When (exact date, if possible) did you purchase the computer?  My order date was 1/5/11.  It is model Dell XPS L501X.  In the order details it shows I purchased 'McAfee® SecurityCenter 3 Year Subscription'  It was activated on 1/12/11.

2b. Has your McAfee subscription ever expired, if only for a day or so?  No.  I had a 3-year subscription upon purchase.

3. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.9.900.152 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER
    ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  

No....I removed Flash and Acrobat Reader when I had these issues.  I think it was Adobe Flash that asked me if I wanted to install some McAfee product.....that's why I ended up uninstalling.  I have not yet re-installed it, though I suspect I will soon.

4. Is KB2888505 listed as a(nother) failed update in Update History?  No.  It was installed successfully on 11/14/13.

5. Is KB2876331, KB2900986, KB2868626 and/or KB2875783 listed in Installed Updates (not
    Update History
    )?  

Yes.....all 4 were installed on 11/19/13

• If all were well with your computer and KB2888505 for IE9 were properly installed, the second line of IE Help | About should read
    Update Version: 9.0.22 (KB2888505) but in your previous reply, you told me it reads
    Update Version: 9.0.21 [followed by (KB2879017), I assume.]  Please double-check this.

Pick one:

• "When I tried to launch IE11, I only got a flash of a screen and it wouldn't load."

• "When I tried to launch IE9, I only got a flash of a screen and it wouldn't load but it's not doing it anymore."

COMMENT: McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not upgrading or uninstalling cleanly. Chances are the McAfee "leftovers" are your troublemaker here.

• I have the following:

Update Version: 9.0.21 (KB2879017)

"When I tried to launch IE9, I only got a flash of a screen and it wouldn't load but it's not doing it anymore."  

I don't know what version of IE that I had before I started having issues.  I use Chrome.  I now have IE 9 and everything works fine.

Back Story:

Here's how this whole thing started.....

I noticed that the IE 11 update kept failing, but didn't really care because I use Chrome.  However, at the same time I noticed that the top Window on my computer would lose focus every 30 seconds, making it very difficult to type an email and such.  Via
    Task Manager, I figured out it was a file called McUICnt.exe that was causing my top Window to lose focus.  This was a McAfee file.  So, I called their support to tell them the issue.  The took control of my computer remotely and tried to launch McAfee Security
    Center.  However, it would not launch and they told me the UI was based on IE.  I put 2 and 2 together and said that I had an IE 11 Update that kept failing to be installed.  Of course, McAfee said it wasn't their problem and to contact Microsoft.

From there, I tried to self-diagnose the problem through suggestions on other posts, but didn't have any success until this thread.

As of now, I have IE 9 installed and working (though I guess you are saying it really isn't the correct version).  Plus, my top Window losing focus problem has disappeared.....which was really my main concern.  I'm satisfied with the outcome, though a
    little nervous about updating in the future.