• Windows 8
"We weren’t able to connect the Store" when trying to install Windows 8.1
  • I hear this is a common problem. Anyway, today I tried to install Windows 8.1 through the store app (my computer notified me that I could do so, so I clicked on the notification, sending me to the store). However, whenever I access the Windows 8 Store
    app, I get this error:

"We weren't able to connect to the store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. Please wait a few minutes and try again."

I have tried the following suggestions:

• Changing to local account
    • Restarting
    • Checking Proxy Settings and disabling Proxifier (an app that tunnels all connections through a proxy, and I have restarted after disabling it).
    • Running the Apps Troubleshooter
    • Synchronizing time with time.windows.com
    • Checking for an unverified account
    • Installing latest updates with Windows Update (all updates install fine)
    • Typing "netsh winhttp reset proxy" and "wsreset" into command line.

Are there any other known fixes short of refreshing/re-installing Windows? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reading and/or responding.

• Hi Cinos,

I would suggest to try the steps mentioned in
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dennis_schnell/archive/2013/10/26/cannot-connect-to-windows-store-windows-8-1-8-rt-and-pro.aspx

Note: you may have to create a new local account and then switch it to Microsoft account and check if that helps.

Here's a link where the user has fixed the issue by running the Windows update troubleshooter from Control Panel. Give t a try and let us know the outcome.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_store/have-internet-but-windows-store-not-responding/38571a6e-4669-4e27-a1dc-000237118d04

Hope this information helps.

• Hello Kevin, 

I would like to thank you for responding and for reading, but those fixes are not helping, unfortunately.

I have tried to relink my microsoft account, but it just errors and says it cannot connect to the server ("Sorry, we cannot connect to Microsoft Services right now"). 

As for the second suggestion, that seems to be an issue where Windows Update doesn't work too (which it does in my case), but I ran it anyway and it did find and fix two issues. Despite this, the Store app still did not work after running the troubleshooter.

• Cinos,

Please confirm that the time and date set are accurate on your computer. If not, please adjust them.

Also, make sure Internet Explorer is not using the Proxy settings.

- Type Internet Options in the Search Charms.

- Go to the connections tab.

- Click on LAN settings.

- Go ahead and uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN box.

Try disabling the Windows Firewall and the antivirus software and then check if you are able to open the Store.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software,
    you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Let us know if this makes any difference.

• Kevin,

I have already tried disabling proxies through Internet Options ("Use a proxy server for your LAN" was not checked to begin with). As for disabling my antivirus (Windows Defender) and Windows Firewall, I just tried that now. Same result as before, I get
    an error when trying to access the store.

Thank you,

Joshua (Cinos)